Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

     I couldn't let this day go by without talking about what I am thankful for.  I keep thinking about what life was like a year ago.  We had just moved from our home and was living with Hollie.  We were pretty sad.  Preparing to leave for Washington and not knowing where we would end up.  I remember reflecting on all of our years in California and how they had changed my life.  How I loved California and all that it brought for 17 years of my life.  I was, however, ready for a new start.  I look where I am now and I would do it all again to be here in Tennessee.  
     I never knew that you could love the place you live so much.  Matt and I talk about it all the time.  The girls are sick of me saying it.  I will be driving home, turn a corner and the beauty hits me.  I yell out how much I love where we live and Ivy rolls her eyes.  I say it all the time.  It is so beautiful!  It reinforces that God has brought us here.  It is a sweet spot to be in when God has granted the desires of your heart and you just rest in contentment.
     There are so many things that I took for granted, so I am thankful for my TINY apartment and living on our own.  I love my little family and being together.  I love to clean, love my dishes, bedspread, couch,etc.  That might seem superficial but to me they are luxuries that not everyone gets to have.  My neighbor came into my apartment and started laughing.  She said that I had decorated so much!  I told her I had went a little crazy because I had missed decorating a house.  I am thankful for decorating!  
     I am so thankful for my new church and my pastor.  We went to church last night and as people were talking about what they were thankful for, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I had prayed for so long to be part of this particular church.  When Matt and I were really hurting, we listened to a sermon by our pastor on suffering.  I must have listened to this sermon 6 times.  I remember once listening to it at 1am because I couldn't sleep and I needed to hear someone tell me what was true.  The biggest quote, "The only way out of a trial is through it."  At that time I was going "through it".  Last night as I was sitting there with my family I remembered that the year before I was listening to Byron on podcast and this year I am going to Community Bible Church and sitting under his teaching every Sunday. Matt and I both shed a couple tears.  God is so kind in our life!
     It is also not just about Byron.  Actually, the biggest blessing might be the women's bible study I go to on Tuesdays.  I love my group and the Lord has used the study of 2 Corinthians to work on my heart.  (More on that in a future post.) Again...the kindness and love of the Lord. 
     I'm thankful that my mom and dad are closer to me.  They got to visit last month and it is so much fun to know that we are only a days drive away from each other.  I will get to go to Iowa more.  The girls will see their Iowa cousins more.  Hollie even lives on the East coast.  This is exciting!
     I'm thankful for Matt's parents and sister and for the sacrifice they made to open their home to us for 8 months.  It was a fun time.  I have new recipes that I learned from Diane and my girls miss climbing up on Grandpa to use his IPad.  They miss their cousins and going into Esther's house to sit with her and watch a cartoon.  Boy Esther, do I miss Goodwill Outlet and shopping with you!  We met some great friends at church there and I am thankful for the way they let us in their group and prayed so faithfully for our family.  I'm thankful that my brother in law, Ray, took time off work to help us drive across the country.  He sacrificed time with his own family to help us with ours.  Thank you Ray! 
     I am thankful that I am a stay at home mom.  I went a little stir crazy at first but the Lord has shown me how to fill my time.  It made me thankful for my years at Legacy (Man, I miss that place!)  but to be more available for Ivy and to enjoy Lucy is such a blessing.
     I am thankful for Matt.  I love him so much.  He is the type of guy that I needed.  I'm thankful for how hard he works and how it is a joy to him to provide for our family.
      Then there are little things like Tennessee BBQ, my Aerolatte that I make cappuccinos with every morning, a running car, my bible,Instagram , my new hobby of sewing,etc. that make me smile everyday.  AND YOU, friends that I still can talk to and communicate with!  Happy Thanksgiving ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment