Thursday, January 12, 2012

My New Year's Resolution

I had joked to a couple of people, before I moved, when they asked me what I was going to do up in Washington. I told them I was going to become quite the theologian. I wanted to really dig in and study the bible. I started to read a book by Martha Peace called," Attitudes of a Transformed Heart" (excellent book by the way). She wrote something, talking about when she first became a Christian. I read it and said,"That's it! I want that to be my resolution this year!" I wrote it in the front of both my bibles." If you want to know more about God and want to please Him, then you HAVE to study His word."
"Lord, my prayer is that You will give me such a great love for Your Word that no matter how much I learn, I will never be satisfied. I will always want more."

I couldn't have said it better myself! I have totally made that my prayer and you know what? He has proved faithful. I have been reading and there are (most days) when I don't want to stop! It has been such a blessing.

Some of you ask me how in the world I am sustaining in all of the trials the Lord has brought my way. I am not going to lie, I have had tears and have totally felt sorry for myself and my family. But God's Word has totally given me comfort. After all, that is one of the reasons He gives us trials, so that we would seek Him. Find our comfort and rest in Him instead of other people and things. I'm still growing in this area.

There may be some of you that think you don't really know the bible and what it says. You "love God but don't need to go THAT far". Or you are a Christian and honestly don't have much of a desire to dig in and really KNOW the bible. If that is you, I encourage you to ask Him for the desire to truly know Him and what He has to say. Take my word for it, when hard times come, you are going to want something to lean on, something to take comfort in.

Ok. That was kind of getting off subject but I felt like I should say it.
Here's to knowing HIM more in 2012!

3 comments: