Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Tomorrow's My Dad's Birthday

I remember being little.  I don't know if I was in preschool or early grade school.  I remember that my dad called Hollie and I into his bedroom and had us sit down.  He got out his bible and asked us if we knew what was in it.  He explained that God had given men His words to write down.  It was God talking to us.  It was important to read it.  I honestly don't remember all that he said about that part but for the first time he shared a bible verse with us.  He read to us Romans 6:23…..

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."  

He explained that one sentence to us and in that he explained the gospel.  Whether you believe it or not, we are all sinners and because God is sinless and holy we deserve death as the payment (the wages) for our sin BUT there is good news.  God's gift to us is eternal life THROUGH Jesus Christ to all who put their faith in Him.

Those who knew my dad knew that he did not always have the softest, most gentle approach but he was passionate about people coming to know Jesus Christ.  I smiled as I read that verse thinking about that day he shared it with us on his bed.  Now thinking that tomorrow would have been his birthday but he is sitting with Jesus.  Feasting at the table with the One who paid that wage on his behalf.

No more Outback Steakhouse gift cards for your birthday dad.  You are eating with the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment